At Bendigo Sleep Lab (Sleep Lab / we / us) we are committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) which are set out in the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012.
Personal Information means information or an opinion (whether true or not) about a particular individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. The information may be recorded in a material form or not.
Please read this policy carefully (before submitting any personal information) to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of Personal Information from and about our patients and users of our Website, including information
- a) by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, credit card information (if voluntarily submitted by our site visitors and patients), or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline, or
- b) about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and your usage details.
The information needed will vary depending on the services you require from us and is usually collected –
- a) directly from you when you provide it to us (in whatever format and for whatever purpose),
- b) automatically as you navigate through the Website (which may include usage details, IP addresses and information collected through user contributions, posted articles, cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies);
- c) from third parties, for example, your representatives, our service providers or associates;
- d) by emails captured through replies to this website and the use of any web-based services provided; and
- e) thorough marketing of our services to interest categories or groups.
Personal Information we may hold
When we provide legal services to you we ask you for the information we need to act on your behalf. This may include a broad range of information about you and your personal affairs including credit card and bank account information if using web based payments systems.
The Personal Information needed will vary depending on the services we are providing, but generally can include
- Your contact information (which may include your name, e-mail and postal address and phone number);
- Your current or previous employment;
- Your date of birth;
- other information specific to your situation and the reason for engaging our services; and
- any relevant payment or billing information if you are requesting or using our services (including but not limited to bank account details, direct debit, credit card details, billing address, funding and payment information).
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies.
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including
- a) details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website, or
- b) information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties.
Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
Emails and newsletters sent electronically, as well as pages of our Website, may contain small electronic files known as web beacons that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related Website statistics. If you visit this site with an open ID (such as Facebook) you may also be sharing and integrating data with third-party social media sites and we may track aggregate data about the number of visits to this site with an open ID, the number of items “liked” on this site, or items on this site that you choose to share with a third-party social media site.
We do not collect Personal Information automatically, but we may tie this information to Personal Information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
How We Use Your Information
We collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information
- where it is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, the nature and purpose of the service we provide to you,
- for website and content improvement and feedback purposes,
- to provide you with information about the services that you request from us or we believe may be relevant to you,
- to reach you, when necessary, regarding your use of our Website or our services,
- to fulfil any other purpose for which you provide it,
- to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection,
- to notify you about changes to our Website or any changes to the services we offer or provide though it,
- to allow you to participate in any interactive features on our Website,
- for health related research purposes using mostly de-identified data to evidence trends
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information, and
- for any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed to
- a) other health professionals during the course of us providing our services to you;
- b) contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business;
- c) a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganisation, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our business assets in which personal information held by us about our Website users is among the assets transferred; and
- d) fulfil the purpose for which you provide it.
Your Personal Information may also be disclosed for any other purpose
- if advised by us when you provide the information, and
- at any time with your consent.
We may also disclose your Personal Information
- a) to comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- b) to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements, including for billing and fee collection purposes; or
- c) if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of this business, our patients or others.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that Personal Information is current, accurate, up-to-date and complete whenever we collect or use or disclose it. Throughout our dealings with you we will take reasonable steps to confirm the details of your Personal Information.
The accuracy of Personal Information depends largely on the information you provide to us, so we rely on you to
- let us know if there are any errors in your Personal Information you become aware of; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your Personal Information (such as your name or address).
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You are entitled to have access to any Personal Information relating to you which we possess, except in some exceptional circumstances provided by law. For example, we may refuse access where the
- information may have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- request is frivolous or vexatious;
- information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- denial of access is required or authorised by or under law;
- information would reveal our intentions in relation to negotiations in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations.
Where providing access would reveal evaluative information generated by us in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process, we will provide an explanation for the decision rather than direct access to the information.
If we refuse access or to give access in the manner requested by you we will let you know why in writing and provide you with details about how to make a complaint about the refusal.
If we make a correction to your Personal Information we may retain a copy of the previous information for our records or as required by law. If you wish to access your Personal Information please email us at the address provided. We will endeavour to respond to any request for document access within 7-14 days depending on the complexity of the information and/or the request. If your request is urgent please indicate this clearly.
It is not our usual practice to charge for receiving a request for access to Personal Information or for complying with a correction request, but exceptions may apply.
How to contact us and opt out rights
Bendigo Sleep Lab
406 High Street
GOLDEN SQUARE, VIC. 3555.
We do not accept requests via the telephone or by facsimile. We are not responsible for notices that are not labelled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
Children Under the Age of 18
Our Website is not intended for children under 18 years of age and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 18, please email us at the address provided.
Commitment to Data Security
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Information is safe. We may retain Personal Information in both hard copy records and electronically with us or our appointed data storage provider(s). You will appreciate, however, that we cannot guarantee the security of all transmissions of Personal Information, especially where the Internet is involved.
Notwithstanding the above, we endeavour to take all reasonable steps to:
- protect any Personal Information that we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and to protect it from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure both physically and through computer security measures;
- destroy or permanently de-identify Personal Information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
We maintain computer and network security. For example, we use firewalls (security measures for the Internet) and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems. However, no internet transmission can be guaranteed as being safe and secure and no warranty to that effect is given.
Further Information on Privacy
You can obtain additional information on privacy issues in Australia from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (“OAIC”) website at www.oaic.gov.au or by contacting the OAIC by email at email@example.com or by calling on 1300 363 992
Bendigo Sleep Lab Pty Ltd
(ABN 92 154 635 278)
1 June 2021